Tuesday, May 15, 2012

On My Radar: Tuesday Edition

iDisorder: Understanding our Obsesssion with Technology and Overcoming its Hold on Us
by Larry Rosen, Ph.D.
Palgrave Macmillan
Hardcover

From time to time, I get contacted by publicists or agencies to consider reviewing certain books that they are promoting.  A lot of the time, the books are not remotely interesting to me, or they are fiction (!), and I respectfully decline.  But sometimes the books cover subjects that fit within my narrow reading scope.
When contacted about iDisorder, I knew immediately I wanted to see it.  The subject is one I have often entertained on my own, and it is nice to find a book to help me make up my mind.  I am currently reading this book and will publish a review as soon as I can.  --BookDude

From the publicity:

iDisorder: changes to your brain's ability to process information and your ability to relate to the world due to your daily use of media and technology resulting in signs and symptoms of psychological disorders - such as stress, sleeplessness, and a compulsive need to check in with all of your technology.

Based on decades of research and expertise in the "psychology of technology," Dr. Larry Rosen offers clear, down-to-earth explanations for why many of us are suffering from an "iDisorder." Rosen offers solid, proven strategies to help us overcome the iDisorder we all feel in our lives while still making use of all that technology offers. Our world is not going to change, and technologywill continue to penetrate society even deeper leaving us little chance to react to the seemingly daily additions to our lives. Rosen teaches us how to stay human in an increasingly technological world.
- - - - - 
Each chapter of iDisorder is devoted to a different psychological disorder such as narcissistic personality disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, addiction and social phobias. Dr. Rosen identifies the symptoms of each disorder, how technology use can bring them out in us, and how they can be curbed. Readers will learn:  
  • What your activity on Facebook can tell you about how narcissistic you are 
  • How to tell when your cell phone obsession actually borders on OCD 
  • How accurate your online dating persona is, and why it might not truly reflect who you are 
  • Ways to increase ?virtual empathy? and avoid the common pitfall of ignoring the feelings of others
  • How to tell when social networking and reality TV are making you too much of a voyeur for your own good 


No comments:

Post a Comment