Thursday, October 7, 2010

New Non-Fiction (Thursday Edition)


First up today is a political book that might be interesting, THIS IS NOT FLORIDA: How Al Franken Won the Minnesota Senate Recount (University of Minnesota Press) by Jay Weiner. Portrayed as the behind-the-scenes story of the Al Franken and Norm Coleman Senate recount.

Franken was sworn in a mere 8 months after election night ( I guess the U.S. Supreme Court was busy and preoccupied). This website has lots of info about the book. But because Franken's victory gave me a grin, I will probably get this one to add to my stack.....

* * * * * * * *

And, because we all know by now that I like sports books, this week brings WHEN THE GAME CHANGED: An Oral History of Baseball's True Golden Age - 1969 to 1979 (Lyons Press) by George Castle. The years covered in this book also coincide with my own golden age, as it were, at least as far as baseball is concerned. From the press for the book:

Contributors include: A-List players and managers like Fergie Jenkins, Billy Williams, Gaylord Perry, Joe Morgan, Tony Perez, Bruce Sutter, Brooks Robinson, Orlando Cepeda, Tom Seaver, Phil Niekro, Jim Rice, Jim Palmer, Bert Blyleven, Tommy John, Lou Piniella, Fred Lynn, Luis Tiant, Earl Weaver, and Sparky Anderson; "everyday" players; coaches; front-office staff; announcers; and sportswriters.

Play ball !

* * * * * * * * * *

I also love myself a real-life thriller and I dare you to read about this next book and not be intrigued. A KIDNAPPING IN MILAN: The CIA on Trial (W.W. Norton & Company) by Steve Hendricks. The publisher says: "A book so compelling it deserves to become one of the non-fiction classics of our time."

It doesn't hurt that I'll be seeing the author this weekend during the Southern Festival of Books. Unfortunately, that will probably result in me wanting the book NOW.......

* * * * * * * * * *

And, finally, one for the archives. 50 YEARS OF THE PLAYBOY BUNNY (Chronicle Books) by Josh Robertson.

What? What?

I'll only get it for the articles. More info here.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment