Thursday, October 31, 2013

Currently Reading:


Churchill and the King: The Wartime Alliance of Winston Churchill and George VI
by Kenneth Weisbrode
Viking
Hardcover

I am on page 161 of this fantastic book....


Kenneth Weisbrode has written an insightful book about the important friendship between two very different people.  Two men thrown together by world events who had to learn to work together with their contrasting personalities.

King George VI, a low-key and his famous stutter against the loud, overbearing prime minister could have been disastrous for England as they stood alone at the beginning of World War II.   They started out at uneasy teammates and end up as unlikely friends.

I strongly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys world history or character studies.  I have new respect for King George VI, beyond what I've learned in the movies.  I have long been a Churchill fan, and Weisbrode has succeeded in showing me an interesting side to the great man.


An excerpt from Churchill and the King can be found here.



No comments:

Post a Comment