Monday, November 22, 2010

On My Radar (Monday Edition)




Full disclosure: I used to be a member of the Los Angeles Lakers. When I was 9 years old I played on the team with Wilt Chamberlain, Elgin Baylor, Gail Goodrich, and Jerry West. You never heard about this because the games always took place in my driveway. The Lakers almost always won by one-point, usually scored by me. Oh, and I never missed a free throw (even if a lane violation had to be committed to give me another opportunity.)

Having said this, I am a Laker fan and, unlike baseball, have stayed with one team for my whole life. I worship on the altar of Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant and, yes, even Vlade Divac, the human flopper. When I heard Jeanie Buss was coming out with a book, the first thing I thought was, "Does it have photos?*," but then I read a little more. Apparently, when first approached about writing a book, Ms. Buss, the daughter of the owner and the girlfriend of the head coach, demurred, saying she didn't think she had enough to say to fill a book. Then, her co-writer Steve Springer, a Los Angeles Times reporter, hit on the idea of combining her personal story with a diary she would keep of a Laker season, the book was born.

I love the idea of reading about a Laker season from the front office perspective. I'm less interested in her relationship with Laker coach Phil Jackson, but he is an interesting character. And, he loves books.

Book Website


Jeanie Buss twitter

* This is funny only if you know Ms. Buss posed for Playboy (1995). And maybe not even funny then.

No comments:

Post a Comment