Wednesday, October 13, 2010

New Non-Fiction (Thursday Edition)



Two really cool looking art books top the Thursday edition. Now just take a look at that book cover over there on the left of this text. Now do a google search (in another tab, of course, and click "images") for pavement chalk artist Julian Beever. I'll wait....

Incredible, huh? I can imagine myself getting caught all candid camera like avoiding "holes" in the sidewalk or reaching for things that are not there. I can't draw a straight line with a ruler, so this stuff is beyond me. But if, like me, you are mesmerized by this kind of art, you need to check out PAVEMENT CHALK ARTIST: The Three Dimensional Drawings of Julian Beever (Firefly Books) by Julian Beever and TRESPASS: A History of Uncommissioned Urban Art (Taschen) by Carlo McCormick with Marc Schiller and Sara Schiller.

In my opinion some of this artwork needs to be commissioned.

- - - - -

I now live in Nashville, home of country music. Songwriter and musician Marshall Chapman has written THEY CAME TO NASHVILLE (Vanderbilt University Press). Chapman puts on another hat, music journalist, and questions friends like Willie Nelson, Emmylou Harris and Kris Kristofferson about their first night in Nashville. I had the opportunity to see Ms. Chapman last weekend at the Southern Festival of Books and, despite having not slept for awhile, she did not disappoint. The book is described as funny, poignant and memorable in the reviews I have read. I have requested a review copy so we'll see if I can chime in as well.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment