Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Master Stroke



I read almost exclusively non-fiction. One of the most enjoyable places to find well-written non-fiction is inside the pages of magazines. L. Jon Wertheim, Sports Illustrated's best tennis writer, has delivered a master stroke of his own, Strokes of Genius: Federer, Nadal, and the Greatest Match Ever Played.

As a tennis fan, I enjoyed the "inside story" feel of this book. I felt like I was courtside during the match with terrific historical context thrown in during the changeovers. Even though I knew the outcome of the match, I was riveted by Wertheim's skillful pacing.

I thought I was a fan of Federer with a grudging respect for Nadal. Now, however, I am a huge fan of both players. Wertheim managed to somehow elevate my love of the game and its combatants. And that is a gift I did not expect.

If are a fan of Federer or Nadal, of tennis, or just sports in general, do yourself a favor and immerse yourself in this wonderfully woven tale of competition, respect and rivalry.

No comments:

Post a Comment