Friday, September 23, 2011

Review: MOSCOW DECEMBER 25, 1991: The Last Day of the Soviet Union

  Having worked in bookstores for many years, I know that one of the most common requests for help that I received was gift suggestions for, um, older males.  The well-meaning consumers often wanted to buy a book for someone they had never witnessed actually reading.  On these occasions, I always defaulted to history or politics (after carefully trying to determine the particular side of the aisle preferred by the object of our attention).  So it is when I discover a book that fits that niche for the upcoming and rapidly approaching holiday season, I try to point it out here on my little corner of the web.

This year that book is MOSCOW DECEMBER 25, 1991: The Last Day of the Soviet Union by Conor O'Clery.

O'Clery built his in-depth narrative around the fateful day of December 25, 1991, when Soviet President Gorbachev resigned.  However, the rich detail includes enough Soviet Union history to form a complete picture of the breakup of the geographically large U.S.S.R., as well as the aftermath.

I savored every moment with this book.  I am a history fiend and when a book is clearly researched with passion and fervor, I damn near cuddle with each page.   I only wish my maternal grandfather were still alive to have seen the collapse of the Soviet Union and also to have had the opportunity to read this in-depth history of the behind-the-scenes intrigue.

The detail of the struggle of the former "evil empire" is captivating.  The Shakespearean battle between Mikhail Gorbachev and Boris Yeltsin is epic.  And, did I mention the detail?

This book should be on the top of your list for anyone, male or female, who enjoys knowing the stories behind the headlines.

I cannot recommend this book enough.



MOSCOW DECEMBER 25, 1991
by Conor O'Clery
Public Affairs
Hardcover

No comments:

Post a Comment