Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Book Tour Review

A Masque of Infamy: A Novel
by Kelly Dessaint
Phony Lid Books
Trade Paperback

by Book Dude

When I was asked to participate in the book tour for this novel, my inclination was to politely decline.  I explained to the delightful lady who asked for my participation that I primarily read nonfiction and didn't normally make time for fiction.

The few times I do dip my foot into the fiction pool is when the plot is unique or in some way appealing to me by piquing my curiosity. I re-read the synopsis of A Masque of Infamy and, for whatever reason, the curiosity factor kicked in.

Based to some degree on the writer's own story, A Masque of Infamy is a compelling and well-written coming of age story with a lot of fish out of water plot thrown in for good measure.  Our protagonist, Louis Baudrey, is forced to move to rural Alabama from the suburbs of Hollywood, California.

Louis is an endearing character, we forgive him his faults and pull for him to find peace and happiness as he navigates a world created by the less than savory adults around him.

One of the things that stands out about this book is Dessaint's gift of writing dialogue.  It would have been easy to make the words of the characters sound overly juvenile, but this is not the case.  I believe the words and wouldn't be surprised if they were very, very close to actual conversations.

A shocking plot twist propels Louis and his little brother into an even more chaotic life.  You can't help but pull for this profane, confused, yet proud high schooler to find a way out of the Hell of this life into a life of his own creation.

If you like coming of age stories and don't mind some "real" language you should support this small press book and give it your time.  You can pride yourself in finding a real diamond in the rough.






No comments:

Post a Comment