Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I'm Not Sorry at All



Public disclosure: I am in love with Diana Joseph. (I've never met her but I feel as if I have.)

I have just completed Diana Joseph's memoir I'm Sorry You Feel That Way --The astonishing but true story of a daughter, sister, slut, wife, mother, and friend to man and dog.

"Sorry" is an funny and bitingly honest look at Ms. Joseph's relationships with seemingly all the men she has ever come into contact with. I exaggerate but not by much.

We read of her father's admonition, "see, what happens is sometimes a girl will go with this one, and then she'll go with that one, and then she thinks what the hell, that one over there doesn't look so bad, why not go with that one, too." Apparently, she wanted to test dear ol' dad's theory. (I didn't put "slut" in the title!) In all seriousness, the "S word" is debated in hilarious detail by Joseph and her teenage son.

No male is safe from the sharpness of the wit. But the best moments are this mom's attempts to understand "the boy." Her son, despite her best attempts, develops political views 180 degrees from hers. This horrifies and intrigues her.

While reading this book, I imagined every mother and teenage son I've ever seen together. And then I imagined every one of those mother's having thoughts like Ms. Joseph. And then, strangely, I felt better about this planet.

I am in love with Diana Joseph. Read this book and you will be also.

http://dianajoseph.net

http://imsorryyoufeelthatway.blogspot.com



No comments:

Post a Comment