Friday, April 11, 2014

In My TBR Stack:

Pigs Can't Swim: A Memoir
Helen Peppe
Da Capo Press
Hardcover

From the publisher's website:


An outrageous, hilarious, and touching memoir by the youngest of nine children in a hardscrabble, beyond-eccentric Maine family.

With everything happening on Helen Peppe’s backwoods Maine farm, life was wild--and not just for the animals. Sibling rivalry, rock-bottom poverty, feral male chauvinism, sex in the hayloft: everything seemed--and was--out of control. In telling her wayward family tale, Peppe manages deadpan humor, an unerring eye for the absurd, and poignant compassion for her utterly overwhelmed parents. While her feisty resilience and candor will inevitably remind readers of Jeannette Walls or Mary Karr, Peppe's wry insight and moments of tenderness with family and animals are entirely her own. As Richard Hoffman, the author of Half the House: A Memoir puts it: "Pigs Can't Swim is an unruly, joyous troublemaker of a book." 






1 comment:

  1. I was thinking Jeannette Walls as I read the first few lines of your review, and I was not disappointed. I loved both of Jeannette Walls' two books (at least, the two I have read), and I assume that Pigs Can't Swim will be just as unbelievable and totally entertaining. Thank you for your review.

    ReplyDelete